Canada's independent media sector is growing, providing fresh perspectives and rounding out the conversations citizens need to make the best decisions. The Internet -- cheap, nimble and everywhere -- is key to that success.
Interested in what other independent media we at The Tyee read and admire? Read on, and add your own favourites by commenting below -- this is by no means intended to be comprehensive.
For a Tyee backgrounder on thought-provoking reads regarding independent media and media concentration, visit The Tyee's Media Backgrounder.
General interest, news, politics:
Print and online (Canadian):
- Alberta Views
- Briarpatch Magazine
- Canadian Dimension
- Georgia Straight
- This Magazine
- Walrus Magazine
Online only (Canadian):
Online only (American):
Culture, literary, lifestyle (print and online):
Independent media organizations, sites, and resource lists:
- Canadians for Democratic Media: Canadians for Democratic Media is a national, non-profit, non-partisan media reform network working to increase informed public participation in Canadian media policy formation.
- Friends of Canadian Broadcasting: an independent, Canada-wide, non-partisan voluntary organization whose mission is to defend and enhance the quality and quantity of Canadian programming in the Canadian audio-visual system.
- YourMedia.ca: News articles, resources and a great list of who owns what.
- The Campaign for Press and Broadcasting Freedom: Representing a common front of readers and viewers, those working in the media industries, and labour and community groups concerned about the increasing concentration of media ownership in Canada.
- Our Public Airwaves: A new vision for Canadian Broadcasting.
- FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting)
- For more, visit The Tyee's reading list on media concentration and independent media.
Aggregators, social bookmarking sites, and social networks:
- Digg.com (social bookmarking)
- Del.icio.us (social bookmarking);
- Newsvine.com (reader-powered aggregator)
- Treehugger.com (aggregator and blog)
- Fark.com (humour-focused reader-powered aggregator)
- Care2 News Network (reader-powered aggregator and cause-oriented social network)
- Boing Boing (aggregator)
Far too vast to get into, there are some real gems in the citizen journalism world. To start, check out:
- The Tyee's BC Blogs index page: If you have a BC-based blog, there are instructions on how to add yourself to the list.
- Technorati.com: The web's most comprehensive searchable blog directory.
Read more: Media