The Tyee is hiring a full-time managing editor to join our award-winning team.
The managing editor plays a critical role in our newsroom. They oversee daily newsroom operations and manage the story schedule. They are aware of all ongoing newsroom initiatives and work in tandem with senior editors to shape the daily story lineup. They are often the last pair of senior editorial eyes on a story, ensuring it’s in the best possible shape before publication. They oversee the home page editor and social media manager to ensure stories are well laid out and thoroughly promoted on all social media platforms. They are also the editorial touchstone for the newsletter manager.
The managing editor reports to the editor-in-chief. This is a new position at The Tyee.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years’ experience writing or editing news and features for a professional publication at the senior level. They will be quick and confident in their work, have demonstrated ability to build positive working relationships with a team, and show they can run newsroom operations effectively. And they’ll understand The Tyee’s approach to journalism.
The Tyee has been a leading Canadian independent news source for 18 years with a reputation for in-depth reporting that creates change.
Hours: Full time, 37.5 hours per week
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Benefits: Employees start with three weeks of paid vacation, a paid holiday break, extended health benefits and professional development funds.
- Work with The Tyee’s team of editors to ensure a high level of daily story publishing that meets standards of quality, accuracy, depth and alignment with The Tyee’s journalistic mission
- Manage the daily newsroom operations and story schedule
- Manage the homepage editor, social media manager and layout team
- Act as the editorial liaison for the newsletter manager
- Sort through and manage freelance queries in tandem with senior editors
- Ensure freelance invoices are properly filed and paid
- Collaborate with senior editorial team to brainstorm assignment ideas
- Participate actively in The Tyee’s audience development team
- Assist in managing journalism practicum students
- Other duties as required
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- At least 2+ years of editing experience (substantive and copy editing, plus reading for libel)
- Thorough knowledge of issues facing British Columbians
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume explaining why you are interested in this opportunity to email@example.com. Please put “managing editor” in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is Jan. 2, 2022.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Indigenous people, gender non-conforming people, people of colour, and people with a disability. We are committed to building a news organization that reflects the community we serve.
If you don’t meet 100 per cent of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway. Be upfront about what skills you’d need to develop so we can talk about how to fill those gaps. If you’re creative, hard-working and love independent media, we’d love to meet you.
Read more: Media