Monsanto has been found guilty of the chemical poisoning of a French farmer.
Grain farmer Paul Francois said he began to suffer from neurological problems after inhaling Lasso, a Monsanto weedkiller, in 2004. He claimed Monsanto did not provide adequate warnings on the product's label. The ruling came down from a court in Lyon, France, today, although damages have yet to be determined.
Francois' layer told Reuters that this is the first time a pesticide maker has been found guilty of such a poisoning, and could lend weight to similar claims.
Monsanto said it was disappointed with the decision and would consider an appeal.
France is targeting a 50 per cent reduction in pesticide use between 2008 and 2018. Initial results show a four per cent cut in farm and non-farm pesticide use from 2008 to 2010.
Colleen Kimmett reports for The Tyee.